Soil Sampling Information for Brunswick County
El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.
Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.
English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.
Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.Collapse ▲
You can pick up soil sample kits from our office:
N.C. Cooperative Extension – Brunswick County Center
25 Referendum Drive Building N
Bolivia, NC 28422
The soil sample kits are located on a table in front of Building N in the Brunswick County Government Complex. There is one clear box labeled “Farm/Commercial Soil Kits” and another labeled “Homeowner Soil Kits.” Choose whichever type of soil kit fits your needs. We also have a Resource Box on the table that contains helpful information on a variety of horticultural topics.
Once you pick up your kit, read over the informational brochure, follow the tips on taking a good sample, collect your sample, and complete the Soil Sample Information form.
Then, return your completed soil sample to the “Soil Sample Drop Off” box located on the table in front of our building. Be sure to include your form and payment ($4 fee per sample November 25–March 31, no charge April 1 – November 24th). Do not tape the boxes shut nor apply any address labels.
Note: Please be sure to follow the directions inside the kit before returning your samples to be shipped off. Failure to do so may result in a delay to receive your results.
Lastly, if you choose to submit your form/payment online, you must still include the printed form when dropping off your soil sample boxes.
Where Can I Pick Up/Drop Off My Soil Sample Kits?
- The primary location for soil sample pick up/drop off is the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Brunswick County office.
Bolivia N.C. Cooperative Extension of Brunswick County office
25 Referendum Drive, Building N
Brunswick County Government Complex
- Our Extension Master Gardener℠ Volunteers in Brunswick County also pick up samples from locations around the county once a week. You may pick up/drop off samples at the following satellite locations:
Calabash Ace Hardware
9030 Beach Drive
Calabash, NC 28467
910-579-3237 Leland Ace Hardware
117 Village Road
Leland, NC 28451
910-383-6688 Leland Mulch & More
39 Edgewood Lane (Off Rt 17)
Winnabow, NC 28479
910-253-7663 Leland Shelton Herb Farm
340 Goodman Drive
Leland, NC 28451
910-253-5964 Shallotte Scott’s Farm/Jack’s Farm Center 4471 Main Street, Shallotte, NC 28470 910-755-6055 Shallotte Green Resource
2407 Ocean Hwy W
Shallotte, NC 28470
910-842-5000 Southport Ace Hardware Southport
8874 River Road
Southport, NC 28461
Why Should I Take a Sample?
- The soil test report, completed by the Agronomic Services Division of the NCDA #CS, will provide you with the nutrient content and pH of the soil. It provides you recommendations on fertilizer and pH amendments specific to the needs of your turf and/or garden ornamentals. Soil testing is the only accurate method to determine your soil pH.
How Do I Collect a Sample?
- Read more at Careful Soil Sampling- The Key to Reliable Soil Test Information for tips on choosing the correct tools and sampling depth.
When Will I Get My Results?
- Between April and November, the general wait time for your sample results after they have been received at the lab for processing is one to two weeks. Between November and April, due to a large influx of test requests, the wait can be up to 10 weeks.
- For current Estimated Processing Time for Samples Received visit the PALS site and look for the table with Lab type and Process Time.
- Your results will be emailed to you at the email address you provided on your Soil Sample Information sheet and can also be found online at PALS site.
How Do I Pay?
- You can include a check made out to N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (“NCDA&CS”) when you return your Sample Information Sheet and soil sample box(es). NO CASH.
- Or, you may choose to pay NCDA&CS directly online with a credit card after you receive the report completion email from NCDA&CS. If you choose to pay online, you must bring your sample to be mailed and wait until the sample data is entered to pay. Otherwise, NCDA&CS has nothing to match your payment to.
- Contact our Horticulture Department if you have questions about the process of taking soil samples or understanding your results!
- Phone: 910-253-2610, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.