Brunswick County Soil Testing
You can pick up soil sample kits from our office:
N.C. Cooperative Extension – Brunswick County Center
25 Referendum Drive Building N
Bolivia, NC 28422
The soil sample kits are located on a table in front of Building N in the Brunswick County Government Complex. There is one clear box labeled “Farm/Commercial Soil Kits” and another labeled “Homeowner Soil Kits.” Choose whichever type of soil kit fits your needs.
Once you pick up your kit, read over the informational brochure, follow the tips on taking a good sample, collect your sample, and complete the Soil Sample Information form.
Then, return your completed soil sample to the “Soil Sample Drop Off” box located on the table in front of our building. Be sure to include your form and payment ($4 fee per sample November 25–March 31). Do not tape the boxes shut nor apply any address labels.
Note: Please be sure to follow the directions inside the kit before returning your samples to be shipped off. Failure to do so may result in a delay to receive your results.
Where Can I Pick Up/Drop Off My Soil Sample Kits?
- The primary location for soil sample pick up/drop off is the N.C. Cooperative Extension of Brunswick County office.
Bolivia N.C. Cooperative Extension of Brunswick County office
25 Referendum Drive, Building N
Brunswick County Government Complex
- Our Extension Master Gardener℠ volunteers in Brunswick County also pick up samples from locations around the county once a week. You may pick up/drop off samples at the following satellite locations:
Calabash Ace Hardware
9030 Beach Drive
Calabash, NC 28467
910-579-3237 Leland Ace Hardware
117 Village Road
Leland, NC 28451
910-383-6688 Leland Mulch & More
39 Edgewood Lane (Off Rt 17)
Winnabow, NC 28479
910-253-7663 Leland Shelton Herb Farm
340 Goodman Drive
Leland, NC 28451
910-253-5964 Shallotte Scott’s Farm/Jack’s Farm Center 4471 Main Street, Shallotte, NC 28470 910-755-6055 Shallotte Green Resource
2407 Ocean Hwy W
Shallotte, NC 28470
910-842-5000 Southport Ace Hardware Southport
8874 River Road
Southport, NC 28461
Why Should I Take a Sample?
- Soil testing diagnoses nutrient content and pH of the soil. It provides you with lime, fertilizer, and other recommendations catered to your soil’s specific needs. Soil testing is the only accurate method to determine your soil pH.
How Do I Collect a Sample?
- Read more at Careful Soil Sampling- The Key to Reliable Soil Test Information for tips on choosing the correct tools and sampling depth.
When Will I Get My Results?
- Between November and March, the general wait time for your sample results after they have been received at the lab for processing is one to two weeks.
- For current Estimated Processing Time for Samples Received visit the PALS site and look for the table with Lab type and Process Time.
- Your results will be emailed to you at the email address you provided on your Soil Sample Information sheet.
How Do I Pay?
- You can include a check made out to N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services when you return your Sample Information Sheet and soil sample box(es). NO CASH.
- Or, you may choose to pay NCDA&CS directly online with a credit card after you receive the report completion email from NCDA&CS. If you choose to pay online, you must bring your sample to be mailed and wait until the sample data is entered to pay. Otherwise, NCDA&CS has nothing to match your payment to.
- Contact our Horticulture Department if you have questions about the process of taking soil samples or understanding your results!
- Phone: 910-253-2610, Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.